HEROES AND HEROINES: Creative Writing Portraits
Heroes and heroines both real and imagined excite us, inspire us and encourage us to consider ways we can each do something great with our own lives. The royal children in the HTY play The Royal School demonstrated strong dedication to Hawaii and its people.
Guide students to celebrate their own hero or heroine with the following activity.
- Watercolor paper
- Black Sharpie marker
- Watercolor paint
1. Students select a hero of their choice, preferably someone from their own life or from history.
2. Students draw with pencil a VERY simple profile head with simple neck and shoulders.
3. Students draw several lines to split up the face for the writing.
4. Students trace all lines with a marker.
5. Students fill in all the sections in pencil with words that define their hero: activities, descriptions, personality. The words need to creatively FILL each section.
6. Students trace all words with crayon or marker.
7. Students fill the many backgrounds of the writing with watercolor paint.