The ‘I am From’ poem template helps guide students to write a poem that celebrates the uniqueness of who they are and where they are from. The poem demonstrates that ‘home’ is not always a place, but also memories, treasured objects or ideas.
1. Write topic headings on the board that refer to those aspects that make each of us unique
(Birth place; Ethnicity; Favorite foods, games, subjects, nature, etc.; Family names; Something a parent always says; A family tradition or other topics).
2. Ask students for ideas to include on the board under each topic.
3. Distribute the accompanying Poem Template.
4. Guide students to fill in the blanks with ideas you discussed.
5. Have students read aloud their ‘I am from’ poems to each other.
Click Here to download a PDF of this activity.