Pre-Show Discussion Points
Family and Honor
▪ Why is family important?
▪ What do you believe is something that family should always do for each other?
▪ What’s something special you’ve done for your family?
▪ Who in your family has accomplished something special? What did she/he do?
▪ In many places in the world people believe in ‘family honor.’ What does that mean to you?
▪ How do you define who you are?
▪ How does your ethnicity influence who you are and what you believe?
▪ Many of us can claim more than one ethnicity. If you claim more than one, how does each influence who you are?
▪ Why are your ethnicity or ethnicities important to you?
▪ How do you share your ethnicity with others?
▪ Where is the place you call ‘home’? Why is that place ‘home’ to you?
▪ What do you know about the history of your culture(s)?
▪ What do people in your family or from your ‘home’ value? Why is that important to them?
▪ What would you want other people to respect about your cultural heritage(s)?
▪ What is ‘cultural clash’? Why might people of different cultures come into conflict with each other?
▪ Why do you believe that some people disrespect those of a different culture?
▪ How might people avoid such clashes?
▪ How might you help people better understand your own culture(s)?
▪ What is ‘tolerance’? Why do you believe tolerance is important in our world today?
▪ In the news we hear of groups that disagree with each other turning to violence and riots? Why do you think they believe fighting helps solve their disagreement?
▪ How might you suggest groups that disagree solve their differences?
- Who has a friend? What do you like to play with your friend?
- Why is it good to play with a friend?
- How do you make your friend feel happy? What makes your friend feel sad?
Conflicts: Independence vs. Obedience
- How would you describe yourself: someone who likes to do things your way, or someone that easily follows other people’s advice or orders?
- When should you be allowed to make your own decisions?
- Who should you be obedient to, and follow their directions or advice?