Guide students to create a collage that shows their cultural identity, using the accompanying template.
Materials: student-selected images and pictures; glue; markers
- Copy and distribute the My Culture/My Self page.
- Guide students to write ideas about themselves in each of the four categories.
My Family Background-Where does your family come from (what countries or cultures?)
Family Traditions-What special holidays does your family celebrate?
Where I Live-What neighborhood do you live in? What’s special about it?
Cultural Traditions-What activities are you involved in? (Hula, lion dancing, taekwondo, ukulele)
- Assign students to collect images related to each of the categories (pictures, magazine clippings, internet sources)
- Guide students to either rip or cut out the images and attach them to the back of the My
Culture/My Self page.
- Guide students to share their My Culture/My Self pages with each other, discussing their personal cultural history.
Click Here to download this activity.