During a story time, consider guiding your children to create an original friendship story. Prepare them by asking about friends, what friends do together, and what friends share (SEE the ‘PreShow Discussion’ Activity). Let students know you would like to create a new story with them about friendship.
1. Begin with “Once upon a time,” or “One day, not too long ago.”
2. As you continue, encourage students to contribute ideas about:
1) Who the characters are
2) What the characters want to do together
3) The troubles the characters have trying to achieve their desire
4) How the characters solve their troubles.
Ask questions, try ideas out and change anything the students would like to alter. Give it a dramatic flair as you tell it and the students will enjoy joining in.
To download a PDF of this activity click here.